- Transport & Technology Systems
Proving it’s possible to save both money and the environment
In Australia, GE’s Evolution Series Locomotive brings advanced locomotive technology to the energy-intensive mining industry.
The Evolution locomotive is the most technologically advanced, diesel-electric, heavy-haul locomotive in the world today.
The GEVO 12-cylinder engine produces the same horsepower as its 16-cylinder predecessor and it does so using less fuel and producing fewer emissions than prior models. This new generation of locomotive proves it is possible to reduce locomotive life cycle costs while meeting U.S. EPA Tier 2 emissions requirements.
Today, more than 3,700 Evolution Series locomotives are operating in 10 countries.
- 16-cylinder power with 12-cylinder economy
- Hybrid air-to-air cooling system
- Consolidated control architecture
- High-performance, reliable traction motors
- Superior dynamic braking
- Available with AC or DC traction systems
- Computer-controlled architecture
BENEFITS & VALUE
- 40% reduction in NOx and PM emissions over predecessor operating at Tier 1
- Engineered to deliver lower life-cycle costs
- 3% savings in fuel cost compared to 16-cylinder engines
- 30% longer engine overhaul interval compared to the 7FDL™ engine
- 184-day running maintenance