Employee health & well-being
As a diversified services company, our performance is dependent on our people – having a healthy and motivated workforce is a key contributor to our ongoing success. Under our health and well-being framework, we aim to operate with no new cases of occupational illnesses and to provide a working environment which maintains the well-being of our people.
Leaders at all levels in UGL must demonstrate a knowledge and personal responsibility in managing health issues. They must behave in a safe and healthy manner to set an example for our people, while providing the appropriate work environment and resources for employees to maximise productivity.
UGL has a dedicated Health Services division which has the following objectives:
- To provide direction and awareness on health issues to UGL’s senior leadership
- To ensure commitment of everyone in a leadership role to health-related issues that have an impact on the business
- To extend an accountability and compliance framework for health that is aligned with safety
At UGL, we are constantly looking for ways to improve our management of occupational wellness. We undertake regular risk assessments of our working environments to identify and address all significant health risks. We work hard to ensure the early identification of known and possible new risks. We communicate openly about health risks and assessments, with due regard for employee and contractor confidentiality and privacy.
Promoting a healthy lifestyle
UGL provides information and services to employees to encourage a healthy lifestyle. Health promotion initiatives may take numerous forms and address a variety of topics, including:
- Lifestyle/environmental risk assessments
- Information about company policies and health and safety training
- Proactive activities such as anti-smoking campaigns, programs to counter alcohol abuse or obesity, immunisation programs, awareness and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases, awareness of cancer risks, nutrition and other wellness-oriented programs
Employee Assistance Programs
Employee assistance programs (EAP) are services funded by the company to enhance the health and well-being of an employee and the employee’s family.
Services available in a particular workplace will vary according to the workforce needs and local custom and culture. They may include:
- Social service and personal counselling
- Counselling on performance issues
- Substance abuse
- Grief counselling
- Stress counselling
- Workplace conflict resolution
- Retraining/outplacement counselling
- Rehabilitation surveillance
- Back injury prevention seminars
- Post-traumatic stress disorder counselling
- Marital counselling
- Older care
- Career counselling
- Advice on exercise and physical training
- Fitness testing (specific to job task if needed)
- Weight and nutrition management
- Exercise equipment instruction
- Cholesterol screening
UGL has an established health assessment process which is undertaken by all prospective employees. Health assessments are used to identify any injury/illnesses that may be current or pre-existing to assist us in reducing risk and ensuring all employees are placed in a safe working environment.
Well-being and work/life balance
As a company whose success depends on the performance of its people, UGL respects its employees’ need to strike a healthy balance between personal and family responsibilities, and their careers. Our approach to promoting work/life balance varies from country to country but it is always based on a straightforward principle: we want to help our people perform to their full potential.
Wherever possible, we meet our employees' requests for special working conditions. We offer a variety of working arrangements (including part-time, flexi-time and parental leave for men and women) and other provisions that help employees combine their career and family roles. We comply with all local legislation and in many cases go far beyond legal requirements. UGL offers the option of part-time employment wherever job requirements permit.
UGL’s Health Services division is also responsible for implementing employee well-being programs that are proactive, relevant, and effective in managing the diverse health and safety needs of our employees around the world. Our wide range of well-being programs include free medical check-ups, workplace ergonomic evaluations and counseling through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP).