- Transport & Technology Systems
PowerHaul Series — UGL & GE’s most technologically advanced locomotive
The PowerHaul Series (PH37ACmai) is UGL & GE’s most technologically advanced, fuel efficient and low emissions diesel electric freight locomotive to date. The PowerHaul Series also represents an important part of UGL’s vision of providing the most efficient railroad technologies to our clients.
Designed for high haulage power to support lighter axle load applications, the PowerHaul Series locomotive is engineered to generate more horse power and tractive effort while lowering fuel consumption and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions compared to competitive locomotives currently in use. The locomotive is equipped with a V-16, twin-turbo 3,700 GHP engine, an advanced AC traction system and dynamic braking.
Driven by the rugged PowerHaul Series P616 engine, the locomotive reduces fuel use by up to 5% compared to current operating fleet averages. Not only will this fuel savings reduce overall operating costs, it also reduces GHG emissions.
THE POWERHAUL SERIES AT A GLANCE
- Able to haul heavier loads with GE’s industry-leading AC individual axle traction control technology that significantly increases adhesion
- Outstanding power output, equipped with a 3,700 GHP engine which endured overload and overspeed testing in excess of industry norms
- 5% better fuel consumption than current operating fleets of similar HP
- Reduced emissions UIC3a Emissions Certification (future ready)
- Extended overhaul limit – 30,000 MWhrs
- Isolated engine mounting to reduce vibration and noise transmission
- Ergonomically designed, low-noise operator cab embodies a well-organised clean and neat style for maximum efficiency
KEY FEATURES OF THE POWERHAUL SERIES P616 ENGINE
- Designed for greater hauling power
- Endured intense overload and overspeed testing in excess of industry norms
- Emits less carbon per gross-ton kilometre moved than electric locomotives, based on current fleets and coal power generation
- Incorporates advanced common-rail fuel injection and turbocharger technology
- Fixed geometry Miller Cycle optimised for NOx and fuel efficiency