UGL is the principal contractor for the construction of a 660MW power generation plant at the Hunter Power Project in Kurri Kurri, New South Wales, commissioned by Snowy Hydro Limited (SHL).
The Hunter Power Project will generate energy with two heavy-duty “F Class” open cycle gas turbines. These turbines will be capable of operating on hydrogen, natural gas and diesel as a backup.
This power station is essential for NSW and was declared by the State Government as a Critical State Significant Infrastructure project in December 2020.
In general, UGL’s scope of works includes:
- Procurement and supply of all the supporting components and auxiliary systems of a power plant needed to deliver the energy, other than the generating unit itself.
- All civil and foundation works
- Site installation of equipment supplied by both MHI and UGL, and
- Testing and pre-commissioning.
In detail, UGL will construct:
- 132VK Switchyard (south), with unit circuit breakers free issued by SHL
- Compressed air system
- Fuel oil system
- Water treatment plant
- Water tanks
- Fuel oil tanks
- Fire water system
- Civil and structural
- Plant internal roads
- Unit auxiliary transformers
- Protection, control, and monitoring for balance of plant
- Switchboards and starters for UGL and original manufacturer’s equipment
- DC and UPS systems
- MV and LV cables and bus ducts
- Plant lighting and earthing, and
In addition, UGL will install:
- Original equipment provided by MHI
- Two F-Class gas turbine generators
- Two AC generators
- Lube oil skid and auxiliary skid and fin fan coolers
- Fuel gas fine filter skid
- Turbine and generator enclosures, air filter house and stack
- Water injection skids
- Turbine unit controls unit controls, and
- Protection, control and monitoring for main turbine and generator.
- Supplied by SHL
- Two generator circuit breakers, and
- Two step-up transformers.
Work packages available
The project is seeking expressions of interest from local suppliers of goods and services in the Hunter Region to take on various construction work packages:
- Visit our Industry Capability Network page
- Click on the Work Packages tab and check what’s on offer
- Choose a package and follow the instructions to send an Expression of Interest from your organisation.
Keep our ICN page bookmarked, as more packages will be made available as the project advances.